The University of Pune (formerly known as University of Poona) was established under the Poona University Act, passed by the Bombay Legislature on 10th February, 1948. In the same year, Dr. M. R. Jayakar assumed office as the first vice chancellor of the University. Shri B.G.Kher, Chief Minister and Education Minister, Govt. of Bombay, took a keen interest in setting apart a beautiful campus for the University. As a result of his efforts, a campus extending over 411 acres was allocated to the University in early 1950.