Operating Systems: Solved 285 Operating Systems Questions and answers section with explanation for various online exam preparation, various interviews, Logical Reasoning Category online test. Category Questions section with detailed description, explanation will help you to master the topic.
Operating Systems Questions
1. Where performance and reliability are both important, RAID level ____ is used.
6. There are 10 different processes running on a workstation. Idle processes are waiting for an input event in the input queue. Busy processes are scheduled with the Round-Robin timesharing method. Which out of the following quantum times is the best value for small response times, if the processes have a short runtime, e.g. less than 10ms ?
10. Consider 3 CPU intensive processes, which require 10,20 and 30 time units and arrive at time 0,2 and 6 respectively. How many context switches are needed , if the operating system implements a shortest remaining time first scheduling algorithm? Do not count the context switches at time zero and at the end
P1 will start at 0 and will finish at 10, P2 will start at 10 and will finish at 30, P3 will start at 30 and will finish at 60. So there are only 2 context switches required at time unit 10 from P1 to P2, and at time unit 30 from P2 to P3
11. The data blocks of a very large file in the Unix file system are allocated using
Correct Ans:an extension of indexed allocation
Indexed allocation is used for the efficient direct access good use of disk space. However, it cannon t allocated very large files . Thus, the data blocks of very large file in unix system are allocated using an extension of indexed allocation or EXT2 file system
12. A thread is usually defined as a light weight process because an operating system maintains smaller data structures for a thread than for a process. In relation to this, which of the following is true?
Correct Ans:On per thread basis, the operating system maintains only cpu register state
14. Consider an OS capable of loading and executing a single sequential user process at a time. The disk head scheduling algorithm used is FCFS. If FCFS is replaced by shortest seek time first (SSTF), claimed by the vendor to give 50% better benchmark results, what is the expected improvement in the IN/OUT performance of user programs?
SSTF is optimal scheduling scheme for the access of file only. Therefore, the IN/OUT performance of the user program is determined by disk. So when FCFS is replaced by SSTF it improves only disk performance. This does not improve the entire IN/OUT performance . This implies improvement performance of user program is 0%
15. Which of the following statements are true? I. Shortest remaining time first scheduling may cause starvation. II. preemptive scheduling may cause starvation. III. Round robin is better than FCFS in terms of response time.
16. Consider the following statements with respect to user level threads and kernel supported threads;1. Context switch is faster with kernal supported threads. 2. For user level threads, a system call can block the entire process 3. Kernel supported threads can be scheduled independently 4. User level threads are transparent to kernel. Which of the above statements are true ?
17. Using a larger block size in a fixed block size file system leads to
Correct Ans:poor disk throughput and poor disk space utilization
Throughput is the measure of total number of process completed per unit time. CPU utilization is referred to a process to keep CPU busy. Thus in case of large block size in fixed block size file system, CPU utilization is poorer and throughput is also decreased
18. Consider a set of n tasks with known runtimes r1,r2, .... rn to be run on a uniprocessor machine. Which of the following processor scheduling algorithms will result in the maximum throughput ?
Correct Ans:shortest job first
If the number of processors are increased then amount of work done is increased and time is decreased. In case of uniprocessor first come first serve gives the maximum throughput but when the case of known run time is considered shortest job first gives best performance
20. A system uses FIFO policy for page replacement. It has 4 pages frames with no pages loaded to begin with. The system first access 100 distinct pages in some order and then access the same 100 pages but now in reverse order. How many page faults will occur ?
100 pages are accessed in some order 1->100 , this will result in 100 page faults.When accessed in reverse order there won't be any fault for page number 100,99,98,97. Therefore for the remaining 96 access, 96 faults would occur. Total 196 page faults
Are you seeking for good platform for practicing Operating Systems questions in online. This is the right place. The time you spent in Fresherslive will be the most beneficial one for you.
Online Test on Operating Systems @ Fresherslive
This page provides important questions on Operating Systems along with correct answers and clear explanation, which will be very useful for various Interviews, Competitive examinations and Entrance tests. Here, Most of the Operating Systems questions are framed with Latest concepts, so that you may get updated through these Operating Systems Online tests. Operating Systems Online Test questions are granted from basic level to complex level.
Why To Practice Operating Systems Test questions Online @ Fresherslive?
Operating Systems questions are delivered with accurate answer. For solving each and every question, very lucid explanations are provided with diagrams wherever necessary.
Practice in advance of similar questions on Operating Systems may improve your performance in the real Exams and Interview.
Time Management for answering the Operating Systems questions quickly is foremost important for success in Competitive Exams and Placement Interviews.
Through Fresherslive Operating Systems questions and answers, you can acquire all the essential idea to solve any difficult questions on Operating Systems in short time and also in short cut method.
Winners are those who can use the simplest method for solving a question. So that they have enough time for solving all the questions in examination, correctly without any tense. Fresherslive provides most simplest methods to answer any tough questions. Practise through Fresherslive test series to ensure success in all competitive exams, entrance exams and placement tests.
Why Fresherslive For Operating Systems Online Test Preparation?
Most of the job seekers finding it hard to clear Operating Systems test or get stuck on any particular question, our Operating Systems test sections will help you to success in Exams as well as Interviews. To acquire clear understanding of Operating Systems, exercise these advanced Operating Systems questions with answers.
You're Welcome to use the Fresherslive Online Test at any time you want. Start your beginning, of anything you want by using our sample Operating Systems Online Test and create yourself a successful one. Fresherslive provides you a new opportunity to improve yourself. Take it and make use of it to the fullest. GOODLUCK for Your Bright Future.
FreshersLive - No.1 Job site in India. Here you can find latest 2020 government as well as private job recruitment notifications for different posts vacancies in India. Get top company jobs for both fresher and experienced. Job Seekers can get useful interview tips, resume services & interview Question and answer. Practice online test free which is helpful for interview preparation. Register with us to get latest employment news/rojgar samachar notifications. Also get latest free govt and other sarkari naukri job alerts daily through E-mail.