Virtual LANs Questions and Answers updated daily – Networking
12 Virtual LANs Questions and answers section with explanation for various online exam preparation, various interviews, Networking Virtual LANs online test. Virtual LANs Questions with detailed description, explanation will help you to master the topic.
Virtual LANs Questions
1. You connect a host to a switch port, but the new host cannot log into the server that is plugged into the same switch. What could the problem be?
Correct Ans:The switch port the host is connected to is not configured to the correct VLAN membership.
This question is a little vague, but the best answer is that the VLAN membership for the port is not configured.
2. What VTP mode allows you to change VLAN information on the switch?
Only in server mode can you change VTP information on a switch.
Which of the following protocols are used to configure trunking on a switch?
VLAN Trunk Protocol
Correct Ans:3 and 4
Cisco has a proprietary trunking protocol called ISL. The IEEE version is 802.1Q.
4. Which of the following are benefits of VLANs?
They increase the size of collision domains.
They allow logical grouping of users by function.
They can enhance network security.
They increase the size of broadcast domains while decreasing the number of collision domains.
They simplify switch administration.
They increase the number of broadcast domains while decreasing the size of the broadcast domains.
Correct Ans:2, 3 and 6
VLANs break up broadcast domains in a switched layer 2 network, which means smaller broadcast domains. They allow configuration by logical function instead of physical location and can create some security if configured correctly.
5. A switch has been configured for three different VLANs: VLAN2, VLAN3, and VLAN4. A router has been added to provide communication between the VLANs. What type of interface is necessary on the router if only one connection is to be made between the router and the switch?
Correct Ans:100Mbps Ethernet
Although you can use either 100Mbps or 1Gbps Ethernet, the 100Mbps is necessary at a minimum and is the best answer to this question. You need to trunk the link from the switch to the router to make this connection work with inter-VLAN communication.
Which of the following provide inter-switch VLAN communication?
Correct Ans:1 and 3
ISL is a Cisco-proprietary frame-tagging method. IEEE 802.1Q is the nonproprietary version of frame tagging.
Which switching technology reduces the size of a broadcast domain?
Virtual LANs break up broadcast domains in layer 2 switched internetworks.
8. You want to improve network performance by increasing the bandwidth available to hosts and limit the size of the broadcast domains. Which of the following options will achieve this goal?
Correct Ans:Switches configured with VLANs
By creating and implementing VLANs in your switched network, you can break up broadcast domains at layer 2. For hosts on different VLANs to communicate, you must have a router or layer 3 switch.
9. Which of the following commands sets a trunk port on a 2960 switch?
Correct Ans:switchport mode trunk
To set a switch port to trunk mode, which allows all VLAN information to pass down the link, use the switchport mode trunk command.
10. Which of the following is true regarding VTP?
Correct Ans:All switches are VTP servers by default.
All Cisco switches are VTP servers by default. No other VTP information is configured on a Cisco switch by default. You must set the VTP domain name on all switches to be the same domain name or they will not share the VTP database.
11. Which protocol reduces administrative overhead in a switched network by allowing the configuration of a new VLAN to be distributed to all the switches in a domain?
Virtual Trunk Protocol (VTP) is used to pass a VLAN database to any or all switches in the switched network. The three VTP modes are server, client, and transparent.
Which of the following is true regarding VLANs?
Correct Ans:VTP is used to send VLAN information to switches in a configured VTP domain.
Switches do not propagate VLAN information by default; you must configure the VTP domain. VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP) is used to propagate VLAN information across a trunked link.