Office of the District Magistrate Jhansi is located in Jhansi. In 1861 the city of Jhansi and a dependent territory was ceded to Gwalior State and the capital of the district was moved to Jhansi Naoabad (Jhansi Refounded), a village without cantonment (military camp). Jhansi (the old city) became the capital of a subah (provínce) within the state of Gwalior, but in 1886 was returned to British rule as a district of the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh in exchange for the Gwalior Fort and the cantonment of Morar nearby. (It had been given to the Maharaja of Gwalior, but came under British rule in 1886 as the result of a territorial swap.) The population of Jhansi in 1901 was about 55,000 while Jhansi district population had been about 407,000 in 1891.