Who: Intizar Hussain
When: 2 February 2016
Veteran Urdu fiction writer and poet Intizar Hussain died on 2 February 2016 in Lahore. He was 92.
About Intizar Hussain
• He was born on 7 December 1923 in India; he migrated to the newly formed Pakistan in 1947.
• He was among the 10 finalists for the Man Booker International Prize for fiction in 2013.
• He was the first Pakistan national and the first Urdu writer ever to be nominated for the international award.
• He was conferred upon the Officer of the Order of Arts and Lettersby the French Ambassador to Pakistan Philppe Thiebaud in September 2014.
• He acclaimed novel Basti which was published in 1979 and later translated into English.
• He also addressed the history of Pakistan and the subcontinent.
• He was a regular literary columnist for Pakistan’s leading English-language daily Dawn.