Who: Ashok Amritraj
What: Awarded honorary doctorate by University of East London
When: 19 November 2015
Tennis champion-turned Hollywood filmmaker Ashok Amritraj on 19 November 2015 was awarded with an honorary doctorate of Arts by the University of East London.
Amritraj was honoured for promoting talented moviemakers from across the world, including India.
About Ashok Amritraj
• Born on 22 February 1956 in Chennai, Amritraj started his career as a tennis player who represented India on an international level.
• He competed in doubles at Wimbledon and the US Open.
• He reached the third round of the US Open in 1977.
• He also gained victories over Paul McNamee and his brother Vijay Amritraj in singles.
• Later, he jumped into film-making and created 2 billion US dollars in worldwide revenues.
• His filmography as producer includes movies such as Bringing down the House, Premonition, Machete, Blue Valentine and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
• He sat on the board of the Motion Picture and Television Fund (MPTF) for seven years.
• His Auto-Biography is called as Advantage Hollywood.