Who: Ganga Gram Yojana
Where: Uttar Pradesh
What: Launched by Union Government
When: 5 January 2016
The Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti on 5 January 2016 launched Ganga Gram Yojana at Village Puth in Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
Under the scheme, 1600 villages of UP situated along the banks of river Ganga will be developed.
Highlights of the Ganga Gram Yojana
• In the first phase of the progamme, 200 villages have been selected initially.
• In these villages, open drains falling into river Ganga will be diverted and alternative arrangements for sewage treatment will be made.
• The villages will have toilets in every house hold.
• It is proposed to incur the expenditure of 1 crore rupees on every village.
• These villages will be developed under the Sichewal model. Sichewal is situated in Punjab, where cooperation of the villagers has been solicited for the water management and waste disposal.
First Company of Ganga Task Force deployed
The Ministry also deployed first company of Ganga Task force Battalion at Garhmukteshwar as a major initiative towards fast track implementation of Namami Gange Programme.
Moreover, three such companies will be soon deployed at Kanpur, Varanasi and Allahabad.