Who: New production facility for producing prosthetic systems
What: Launched by Union Government
When: 8 September 2015
The Union Minister for Social justice and Empowerment Thaawar Chand Gehlot on 8 September 2015 inaugurated the new production facility for producing affordable lower limb prosthetic systems. The facility was launched under the Make In India initiative with an estimated cost of 6 Crores rupees.
For this, Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) signed the Transfer of Technology (ToT) and Technical & Consultancy Services agreement with multinational company Ottobock for mass manufacturing of new generation Lower limb prosthetic systems for PwDs (Persons with Disabilities).
With this new production unit, ALIMCO will be able to produce technologically advanced prosthetic system which will improve the independence and mobility of lower limbs amputees from all section of society in the country.
Camp conducted by ALIMCO
• During the launch, ALIMCO conducted successful camp at Kanpur Dehat District. In that camp, government distributed artificial limbs and aids to 692 pre-identified beneficiaries. They were provided aid and assistive devices, prosthetics valuing over 60 Lakh rupees.
• 20 specially indentified beneficiaries having more than 80 percent disability were handed over battery operated motorized Tricycle fitted with Utility Box costing 37000 rupees each.
• Major cost of this high end product was borne by the Ministry and amount of 2.4 lakh rupees was graciously provided through MP LAD fund.
• Pre-identified beneficiaries were provided with various assistive aids and devices including 550-Tricycles, 26-Wheelchairs, 596-Crutches, 93-Walking Stick, 1 Rollators, 8 Braille Cane (folding), 42 Behind The Ear Digital Hearing Aid machine and 2 MSIED Kit (Multi Sensory Inclusive Educational Kit) for Children with Special Needs.
• 26 Prosthetics and Orthotics appliances were also distributed.
ALIMCO works under the aegis of Department Of Empowerment Of Person with Disability (DEPwD), Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJE).