Who: Union Government
Where: Tamil Nadu
What: Approved under PMAY (Urban)
When: 25 January 2016
Why: To set up solar energy panels over 10000 EWS houses
Union government on 25 January 2016 approved fitting of roof top solar energy panels over 10000 houses belonging to Economically Weaker Sections in Tamil Nadu at a cost of 253 crore rupees.
This is first of its kind under Prime Minister’s Awas Yojana (PMAY)(Urban).
Under this Scheme, The Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation will provide an assistance of 150000 rupees per house while the State Government will contribute 60000 rupees and the beneficiary’s contribution will be 43000 rupees
About Prime Minister’s Awas Yojana (PMAY)(Urban).
• Housing Scheme for All 2022 was renamed to Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY).
• This scheme was launched on 25th June 2015 by PM Narendra Modi.
• It aims to construct about 2 crore houses in the country within 7 years that is from 2015 to 2022.
• People who will be benefited through this scheme will be homeless ones, poor urban people and belonging to EWS and LIG categories.
• Union Government will focus on creating housing units under three different phases
Phase 1: It will continue from April 2015 to March 2017. In this phase 100 cities will be selected.
Phase 2: This will take place from April 2017 to March 2019 .This Scheme will cover 200 more cities
Phase 3: The final phase of the Scheme will take place from April 2019 to March 2022. This final phase will cover all remaining cities.
• The main beneficiaries of this latest housing for all scheme 2022 will be
- People belonging to Scheduled Casts(SC)
- People belonging to Scheduled Tribes(ST)
- Economically weaker section (EWS)
• Union Government planned to grant subsidy for these beneficiaries to buy home.
• The subsidy amount will be from 1 lakh rupees to Rs. 2.30 lakh rupees.
• Under this Scheme Eco Friendly and sustainable technologies will be used during the construction process.