What: Became first State
Why: To make gender education compulsory at graduate level
Telangana became the first State in India to introduce compulsory gender education at the graduate level.
In this regard, the state in second week of January 2016 introduced a bilingual textbook titled, Towards a World of Equals.
The book was introduced on a pilot basis in engineering colleges affiliated to the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU-Hyderabad).
About the book
• The book discusses gender in its composite form without limiting itself to crime against women.
• The book attempts to cover information on unacknowledged women writers of Telangana to problems of sex selection and women’s work in politics and economics.
• It also touches upon complex subjects like female-centric history and male-female relationships.
• The book is structured in simple language and form to suit under-graduates.
• The book discusses different strands of women’s movements across the world, introducing students to political movements of Afro-American, Caribbean, African, Dalit and minority women.
• The book is coupled with a collection of visual teaching tools which include documentary films.
• The book is being taught over 14 weeks in a semester at the rate of two classes per week.