Who: Shiva Keshavan
Where: Nagano, Japan
What: Clinched silver medal at Asian Luge Championship
When: 27 December 2015
Shiva Keshavan on 27 December 2015 grabbed a silver medal in the 18th edition of the Asian Luge Championship held in Nagano, Japan.
The first place was claimed by defending champion Hidenari Kanayama of Japan. On the other hand, South Korea’s Kim Dong-hyeon grabbed the third place.
Who is Shiva Keshavan?
• Born on 25 August 1981, Keshavan is the posterboy of Indian winter sports.
• He is a five time Olympian and the first Indian representative to compete in luge at the Winter Olympic Games.
• He set a new Asian speed record at 134.3 km/h after beating the previous record of 131.9 km/h.
• In Asia Cup 2011, he grabbed the gold medal.
• In 2012, he set a new Asian track record at 49.590 seconds.
• He was offered to represent Italy in 2002, but refused.
• He holds the world record for youngest ever Olympian.
• He studied humanities and political science at the University of Florence and obtained a Master’s degree in International relations from the University of Florence.