Who: Satyavati Berera
What: Became first woman COO at Big 4 in India
When: 27 December 2015
Satyavati Berera on 27 December 2015 became the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the Big Four accounting firm in India. With this, she became the first woman to reach the level of a COO.
Berera will take charge as COO on 1 January 2016. She will replace Neil Wilson, who is moving to London as global operations partner with PwC. She will be second only to chairman Deepak Kapoor in hierarchy.
Who is Satyavati Berera?
• She is currently the regional managing partner for north at PwC India.
• She has been with PwC for 35 years.
• She started her career at PwC network of firms in 1980 in audit practice.
• She has been a partner with the firm since 1995.
• She led consultancy services for the firm in India.
About Big Four
The Big Four are the four largest international professional services networks, offering audit, assurance, tax, consulting, advisory, actuarial, corporate finance, and legal services. They handle the vast majority of audits for publicly traded companies as well as many private companies, creating an oligopoly in auditing large companies.
They also provide massive employment and career development opportunities to accountants and auditors around the world.
The following are the members of this internationally renowned group:
1. Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited
2. PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
3. Ernst & Young (E&Y)
4. Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG)
BDO and Grant Thornton are the fifth and sixth largest firms, respectively.