Who: Sam Pitroda
What: Appointed as Odisha Government’s Technical Advisor
When: 6 January 2016
Satyanarayan Gangaram Pitroda, popularly known as Sam Pitroda, on 6 January 2016 was appointed Technology Advisor to the Odisha Government.
Pitroda was appointed as the technology adviser for development of telecom, electronics, IT, ITES sectors of the state.
Pitroda will have a key role in Vision 2036 for Odisha@100, as the state government is making a vision document for 2036 to celebrate the 100 years of state’s formation.
About Sam Pitroda
• Born on 4 May 1942 in Titilagarh, Odisha, Sam Pitroda is a telecom engineer, inventor, entrepreneur and policymaker.
• In 1964, he travelled to Chicago to study electrical engineering.
• He is a director of the Young Indian Company co-owned by Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
• He also served as Advisor to the Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on Technology Missions related to water, literacy, immunization, oil seeds, telecom, and dairy.
• He is the founding Chairman of India’s Telecom Commission.
• He has also served as an advisor to the United Nations