Who: Independent Commission on Doping in Sports in Russia
Where: Vienna, Switzerland
What: Submitted its report to WADA
When: 9 November 2015
Richard Proud-chaired Independent Commission (IC) on Doping in Sports submitted its report to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). The report was submitted on 9 November 2015 in Vienna, Switzerland.
WADA launched the IC in December 2014 to investigate the validity of allegations of doping practices, corrupt practices around sample collection, results management, etc that implicate Russian Government agencies, labs, athletes, coaches among others.
The allegations were based on a documentary titled Top Secret Doping: How Russia makes its Winners that was aired by the German television channel ARD.
Highlights of the repot
• The commission found that the allegations of widespread doping were substantiated by their investigation, and that far from being historical, many of the findings are still current in Russian sport today.
• There was a systematic level of doping that had been perpetuated by unscrupulous athlete support personnel and state agencies.
• The IC has recommended that WADA declare The All-Russia Athletic Federation (ARAF) and Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) to be Code noncompliant.
• The IC has recommended that WADA withdraw its accreditation of the Moscow laboratory as soon as possible and that its Director be permanently removed from his position.
• As the Moscow laboratory is unable to act independently, the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) should suspend ARAF.