What: Honoured with 3rd National Yash Chopra Memorial Award
When: 25 January 2016
Veteran Bollywood actress Rekha on 25 January 2016 was honoured with the third Yash Chopra Memorial Award in Mumbai.
Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao presented the award to the actress in recognition of her talent and contribution to the film industry.
• The actress was born on 10 October 1954 as Bhanu Rekha Ganesan in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
• She started her career in 1966 as a child actress in the Telugu filmRangula Ratnam.
• Her film debut as a lead happened with Sawan Bhadon in 1970.
• She has won three Filmfare Awards, two for Best Actress and one for Best Supporting Actress, for her roles in Khubsoorat, Khoon Bhari Maang and Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi, respectively.
• Her portrayal of a classical courtesan in Umrao Jaan won her the National Film Award for Best Actress.
• In 2010, she was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
About National Yash Chopra Memorial Award
• The National Yash Chopra Memorial Award was instituted by the TSR Foundation of T Subbarami Reddy in the memory of the producer-director Yash Chopra, who died in 2012.
• The Foundation annually honours a distinguished senior film personality for outstanding contribution to film industry with a Gold Medal and a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees.
• Previous recipients of the award include Melody Queen Lata Mangeshkar and megastar Amitabh Bachchan.