Who: Imprint India
What: Launched by PM Narendra Modi
When: 5 November 2015
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 5 November 2015 launched Imprint India, a Pan-IIT and IISc joint initiative.
The project encourages the Indian technical institutions to develop a blueprint for research to crack major engineering and technology challenges relevant to the nation.
Imprint India is a 1000 crore rupees project, which aspires to:
• Identify areas of immediate relevance to society requiring innovation
• Direct scientific research into identified areas
• Ensure higher funding support for research into these areas
• Measure outcomes of the research effort with reference to impact on the standard of living in the rural/urban areas
The Imprint India will focus on 10 themes and each will be coordinated by one IIT/IISc. The themes are:
1. Health Care – IIT Kharagpur
2. Computer Science and ICT – IIT Kharagpur
3. Advance Materials – IIT Kanpur
4. Water Resources and River systems – IIT Kanpur
5. Sustainable Urban Design – IIT Roorkee
6. Defence – IIT Madras
7. Manufacturing – IIT Madras
8. Nano-technology Hardware- IIT Bombay
9. Environmental Science and Climate Change – IISc, Bangalore
10. Energy Security – IIT Bombay
Besides, an Inter Ministerial Group (IMG) is being set up as the single window mechanism. The group will shortlist research projects by leading research and technology institutes. It will also approve funds for the same.
IMG will comprise of members from multiple ministries, such as Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), Ministry of Defence, Department of Science & Technology, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Rural Development and so on.