Who: Labshankar Thakar
What: Passed away
When: 6 January 2016
Noted Gujarati writer and poet Labhshankar Thakar passed away on 6 January 2016 following prolonged illness in Ahmedabad. He was 80.
He was a modernist author of Gujarati literature with influence of existentialism challenging traditional literature styles.
About Labshankar Thakar
• He was born on 14 January 1935 in Sedla village near Surendranagar in Gujarat.
• Some of his famous poems are Vahi Jati Pachhal Ramya Ghosha (1965), Manasni Vaat (1968), Mara Namne Darwaje (1972), Boom Kagalma Kora (1974), Pravahan (1986), Kalagranthi (1987).
• He wrote many plays including Asatyakumar Ekagrani Dharpakad, Make Believe (1967), Mari Jawani Maza (1973), Bathtub ma Machhali (1982) etc.
• He is also known for his novels Akasmat (1968) and Kon? (1968).
• Apart from being Gujarati poet, playwright and story writer he was also an Ayurvedic Practitioner.
• He also wrote several books on Ayurveda and also had published several magazines including Kriti and Unmoolan.
• He had also been awarded several times for his works including Sahitya Akadami Award (1991) for his poetry, Sahitya Gaurav Puraskar (2002) of Gujarati Sahitya Parishad, Kumar Chandrak (1962), Narmad Chandrak and Ranjitram Suvarna Chandrak (1981).