Who: MoU for skill development in manufacturing sector
What: Signed between MSDE and DHI
When: 8 December 2015
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for skill development in the manufacturing sector was signed on 8 December 2015 between Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and the Department of Heavy Industry (DHI).
The MoU focused on capital goods and automotive sector.
Key highlights of the MoU
• The purpose of the MoU is to create centres of excellence for different manufacturing skills and a multi-location national institute of manufacturing technologies for training education and research by utilizing/upgrading the existing training facilities of Central PSUs such as HMT, BHEL and Instrumentation Ltd. under the DHI.
• The centres of excellence will ensure that a robust national ecosystem for development of skills in the manufacturing sector is created in the country and internationally known best practices in this field are brought in with active participation of countries like Germany.
• Under the MoU, all Central PSUs have committed to invest at least 20 percent of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds for skilling purpose.
• The Central PSUs have also committed to provide equipment and machinery, which has been phased out of production line, but could still be used for training purposes to training institutions.
• The MoU will also enable significant scale up of apprentice training in the central PSUs under the Department of Heavy Industry and promote adoption of ITIs by the Central PSUs.
• Apart from ITIs, Advanced Training Institutes and regional vocation training institutes under the Skills Ministry, training partners of NSDC and Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) will also work with the Central PSUs under DHI.
• The agreement will enable private partnership in the entire value chain of skilling through targeted interventions.