Who: Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai
What: Won Community Impact Award at Google Science Fair
When: 22 September 2015
A class 9th student from Koraput district of Odisha, Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai, bagged the prestigious Community Impact Award at the fifth Google Science Fair held in California on 22 September 2015.
Lalita is a student of DPS Damanjodi in Koraput, Odisha and she got the award for developing a low-cost bio-absorbent based water purifier, which aimed at cleaning waste water by flowing through difference layers of corn cobs.
As a part of the award, 13 years old Lalita won 10000 US dollars as prize money. She will also receive support from Google for one year for her project.
Winners of the fifth annual Google Science Fair
• Grand Prize- Olivia Hallisey (16), United States
• Community Impact Award- Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai (13), India
• Virgin Galactic Pioneer Award- Pranav Sivakumar (15), United States
• Lego Education Builder Award- Anurudh Ganesan (15), United States
• Google Technologist Award- Girish Kumar (17), Singapore
• Incubator Award- Eliot Sarrey (14), France
• Scientific American Innovator Award- Krtin Nithiyanandam (14), United Kingdom
• National Geographic Explorer Award- Deepika Kurup (17), United States
About Google Science Fair
The Google Science Fair is an online science competition sponsored by Google, National Geographic, Galactic, Lego, Virgin and Scientific American. The competition is open for 13 to 18 years old students from all over the world. The first ever Google Science Fair award was announced in July 2011.