Who: Joint Declaration of the Heads of the Migration Authorities of the BRICS
Where: Sochi, Russia
When: 9 October 2015
The Joint Declaration of the Heads of the Migration Authorities of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) nations was released on 9 October 2015 after the first BRICS Ministerial meeting on Migration. The meeting was held in Sochi, Russia.
The declaration guided by the Ufa Declaration and the commitment to respect human rights is a major milestone so far as orderly and legal migration amongst BRICS countries is concerned.
The members also resolved to combat and prevent transnational organized crime in line with the Ufa declaration.
The Indian delegation to the meeting was led by the Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju.
Following is the Text of the Joint declaration:
- Affirm the interest of BRICS countries in exchanging views and sharing experience on migration issues
- Acknowledge the interrelationship between transnational migration and development and the need to deal with the opportunities and challenges that migration presents and take advantage of its positive impacts
- Reaffirm the openness of the BRICS to deepen collaboration with other countries, international and regional organizations, based on principle of equality and mutual respect for discussing and addressing the issue of international migration including the facilitation of safe and orderly migration
- Acknowledge the impact of migration to the social and economic development and demographic situation in the BRICS countries
- Express the interest of BRICS countries in sharing best practices in the development and implementation of national migration policies or procedures
- Acknowledge the relevance of cooperation in the field of migration in the BRICS space
- Recognize the importance of promoting the mobility of skilled workers in the space of the BRICS countries
- Reiterate the commitment to combat and prevent organized criminal human trafficking and migrant smuggling
- Welcome strengthening of the dialogue and cooperation in the field of migration, including migration policies, procedures and strategies as well as working meetings of representatives of the migration authorities of the BRICS countries
The meeting was also attended by representatives of the Shanghai Cooperation Council (SCO), Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and other International bodies on migration.