Who: Atulesh Jindal
What: Appointed Chairman of CBDT
When: 21 January 2016
Senior revenue service officer Atulesh Jindal on 21 January 2016 was appointed chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
Jindal will succeed A K Jain, who completes his term at the end of January 2016.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Jindal as chairman of the apex policy-making body of the income tax department.
Who is Atulesh Jindal?
• Jindal is a 1978 batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer.
• He is currently working as member (revenue) in the CBDT.
• He will have a tenure of six-months until he retires in July 2016.
About Central Board of Direct Taxes
• The Central Board of Direct Taxes is a statutory authority functioning under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
• The officials of the Board in their ex-officio capacity also function as a Division of the Ministry dealing with matters relating to levy and collection of direct taxes.
• The Chairperson of CBDT is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India.
• The Chairperson of CBDT is the ex officio Special Secretary to the Government of India and also cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service.