Who: India in Shanghai Cultural Week
When: 5 November 2015
An Indian culture week called ‘India in Shanghai’ was on 5 November 2015 inaugurated at China Shanghai International Arts Festival (SIAF) at the Shanghai Grand Theatre. The SIAF annual festival began on 16 October 2015 and will continue till 16 November 2015.
The culture week was inaugurated by Indian Ambassador Ashok K Kantha along with Zhong Yanqun, Vice Chair of The Standing Committee of the Shanghai Municipal People’s Congress.
This is the first time in the 17-year history of the China Shanghai International Arts Festival that India was designated as the guest country during the festival.
The events at the India Culture Week will showcase the best of contemporary Indian arts and comprise the following:
• Musical- Bollywood Extravaganza
• Dance Performance Sari by Daksha Sheth Dance Company
• Tribal Music by Rajasthan Josh
• Exhibition- Forms of Devotion
Each of the above performances would be staged at multiple venues across Shanghai from 5 November 2015 to 11 November 2015. The exhibition titled Forms of Devotion would remain open for public viewing at China Art Museum till 21 February 2016.
Purpose of India Culture Week
• The India Culture Week aims to provide Chinese friends a glimpse of the multi-faceted cultural traditions of India as well as enable a better understanding of India among Chinese people.
• The cultural performances are also expected to lead to a greater collaboration between Indian & Chinese performing Arts and corresponding institutions.
• As 2015 is named as ‘Visit India Year in China’, it is expected that this Festival will encourage more Chinese tourists to travel to India and see for themselves the rich and diverse cultural heritage of India.
About China Shanghai International Arts Festival (SIAF)
SIAF is the only state-level International Arts Festival hosted by the Ministry of Culture of China and is organized by Shanghai Municipal People’s Government. In past years, the festival has seen participation from renowned personalities in the field of Art.