Who: Giorgi Kvirikashvili
What: Elected as Prime Minister of Georgia
When: 29 December 2015
Giorgi Kvirikashvili was on 29 December 2015 elected as the Prime Minister of Georgia. He will succeed Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili, who resigned from the post on 23 December 2015. His appointment will now be ratified by the Georgia’s President Giorgi Margvelashvili.
Kvirikashvili fetched 86 votes of the parliament of Georgia out of 114 deputies. However, 28 deputies voted against him. The parliamentary vote also ratified Kvirikashvili’s choice of cabinet.
Once his appointment is ratified, he will head the campaign headquarters of the party Georgian Dream- Democratic Georgia and the electoral list of the coalition Georgian Dream.
About Giorgi Kvirikashvili
• Kvirikashvili has a background in banking and finance.
• He has a Master’s degree in Finance from the University of Illinois in the United States.
• Since 1999, he worked in the State Office of the Deputy head of the service of fiscal monetary policy and foreign economic relations.
• He had served as Director General of Cartu Bank from 2006 to 2011.
• In October 2012 parliamentary elections, he was appointed to the post of Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development.
• Earlier in September 2015, he was appointed as the Foreign Minister of Georgia.