Who: General Om Prakash Malhotra
What: Passed away
When: 29 December 2015
General Om Prakash Malhotra, former Punjab Governor and ex-Chief of Army, passed away on 29 December 2015 due to old age. He was 93. He is survived by his wife and two children.
General Om Prakash Malhotra was the 13th Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army from 1978 – 1981.
About General Om Prakash Malhotra
• He was born in Srinagar, Kashmir, in August 1922 and attended Government College in Lahore before being selected to join the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
• He was commissioned into the Regiment of Artillery. He commanded different Artillery Regiments between November 1950 and July 1961.
• He was the Military Attache at the Indian Embassy in Moscow for over three years from June 1962.
• He served as the Ambassador of India to Indonesia from 1981 – 1984.
• He was appointed as the Governor of Punjab and Administrator of Chandigarh from 1990 – 1991.
• He was also the President of the Equestrian Federation of India for nearly nine years.
• For his outstanding services to the nation and the Indian Army, he was honoured with Param Vishsist Seva Medal in 1976.
• In 1994, he was conferred with the Degree of Doctor of Letters (Honours Causa) by the University of Jammu.