Who: Draft of Revised Scheme for Rehabilitation of Bonded Labour
What: Released by the Union Labour Ministry
When: 22 September 2015
Why: To remove anomalies in the original scheme of 1978
The Union Ministry of Labour and Employment on 22 September 2015 released the draft of Revised Centrally Sponsored Plan Scheme for Rehabilitation of Bonded Labour.
The revised scheme seeks to address anomalies associated with the original scheme of 1978 like low rehabilitation package, lack of provisions for special category beneficiaries, lack of monitoring, etc.
Features of the Revised Scheme
• It will be a Central Sector Scheme (CSS) unlike the original scheme which is a Central Sponsored Scheme (CSS). Hence, the Union Government will bear the entire expenditure under the scheme.
• The rehabilitation package will be 1 lakh rupees per adult male beneficiary
• For special category beneficiaries such as young children including orphans, girl child rescued from beggar rings and forced prostitution the package will be of 2 lakh rupees.
• For disabled people the package will be 3 lakh rupees
• The amount of assistance for survey of bonded laborers shall be 4.50 lakh rupees per sensitive district.
• The expenditure on awareness generation will be to the tune of maximum 10 lakh rupees per state