Who: Commemorative coins of Rs 125, Rs 10
What: Released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
When: 6 December 2015
Why: In honour of Babasaheb Bhim Rao Ambedkar
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 6 December 2015 released two commemorative coins of 125 rupees and 10 rupees, as part of the 125th birth anniversary year celebrations of Dr. Babasaheb Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
The coins were issued on his death anniversary, which is observed as Mahaparinirvan Divas of Babasaheb Ambedkar. He breathed his last on 6 December 1956.
Dr. Babasaheb Bhim Rao Ambedkar
• He was born on 14 April 1891 in Mhow, Madhya Pradesh.
• He was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer.
• He inspired the Modern Buddhist Movement and campaigned against social discrimination against Untouchables (Dalits), while also supporting the rights of women and labour.
• He was Independent India’s first law minister and the principal architect of the Constitution of India.
• In 1990, the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, was posthumously conferred upon Ambedkar.
• Ambedkar’s legacy includes numerous memorials and depictions in popular culture.