Who: Cochin Shipyard Limited
What: Became first licensed Indian shipyard to make LNG Ships
When: 21 December 2015
Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) on 21 December 2015 received certification to build LNG-transporting ships for any client world-wide making it the first shipyard in India to get the nod.
The shipyard successfully completed a Mark-III Flex Mock-Up, which has been certified by Gaztransport et Technigaz (GTT), France, thereby completing all requirements to be licensed by GTT. After the certification, CSL can build LNG ships for any client world-wide using their patented membrane containment system known as the Mark-III Technology.
How the licensing helps CSL?
• GTT France has pioneered and patented various technologies for safely carrying LNG in ships. CSL is now authorised to use the Membrane Type Technologies of GTT for any liquid gas carriers, more particularly the LNG carriers. Cochin Shipyard is the first shipyard in India to have obtained this technology. With this, CSL will be able to take part in the tender floated by GAIL for LNG carriers.
• GAIL has contracted substantial LNG from USA to be shipped out for the next 20 years. They are in the process of finalising transportation contracts with reputed LNG shipping companies who are to build vessels as per GAIL’s specifications. The contracts will be for a 20 year period and vessels are to be positioned accordingly.
• As part of the Make in India programme, the Government of India is keen that three of the nine ships should be built in India. CSL is keen to take part in the tender. Entering the LNG carrier technology area will set the yard on the technology growth path and will also lead to substantial improvements in areas like quality control, Health, Safety & Environment (HSE).
• The yard has the technical strength and the basic shipbuilding capability to undertake construction of the complex vessels. However, LNG vessel construction needs upgradation of existing facilities/systems in the yard and implementation of various protocols. Therfeore, CSL has forged partnership with Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI), Korea, who are amongst the leading yards in the world.
About LNG Vessels
• LNG Vessels are very complex ships and only a few yards in the world have the capability to build these ships.
• The most critical aspect of an LNG ship is its cryogenic containment and handling system as the LNG is carried at a temperature of -163 degrees. This requires fool- proof cryogenic containment and safe handling and transfer system.
About Cochin Shipyard Limited
• Cochin Shipyard Limited is one of the major shipbuilding and maintenance facility in India.
• It is part of a line of maritime-related facilities in the port-city of Kochi, Kerala.
• It was incorporated in 1972 as a Government of India company.
• Of the services provided by the shipyard are building platform supply vessels and double-hulled oil tankers.
• At present, CSL is building the first indigenous aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy.
• The shipyard also trains graduate engineers in marine engineering.