Who: C-DOT’s GyanSetu
Where: At ITU World Telecom Event, Budapest
What: Bagged Recognition of Excellence award
When: 2 November 2015
The Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) on 2 November 2015 bagged the Recognition of Excellence award for GyanSetu at the ITU World Telecom 2015 held at Budapest, Hungary.
GyanSetu seeks to facilitate Prime Minister’s Digital India Initiative and was selected for the award for its innovative approach and social impact.
It was showcased live at the event as a part of Digital India Pavilion by the C-DOT under the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (IT).
In addition, Terabit Router, 100G OTN Platform, GPON – Fiber to the Desk Solution and Telecom Geo-Intelligence Solutions were also demonstrated by C-DOT at the event.
What is GyanSetu?
• It is an innovative product for rural India. It aims at overcoming the limiting factors of rural masses and facilitates for connecting them to internet in local language.
• The product links rural and urban areas together by providing multi-lingual text, audio and video based solution.
• It aims at overcoming low/no-literacy levels and physical disabilities, thereby helping to achieve self-reliance, bringing the advantages of the digital world and facilitate inclusion in the mainstream society.
• Depending on the type of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), the product is loaded with user-friendly features like audio announcements in any languages, image driven GUIs with magnified visible icons, and assistive devices for interaction with the system.
Features of GyanSetu
• GyanSetu’s Graphical User Interface (GUI) is a web based user-friendly application, which provides results in text format along with audio announcements in the language selected by the PwD user.
• The product comes with a numeric keypad with Braille stickers. Besides, it includes special keys like Help, Easy Card, OK, Cancel, Up/Down and Back.
• It supports content based audio announcements in the user-preferred language.
• It offers multi-lingual support for ease of navigation.
• Selected content already present in the third party websites/servers without modifying the same will be made available to the PwD user through the GUI in real-time. The feature is being patented by C-DOT.
• It holds power optimized and less expensive proprietary hardware.
About ITU Telecom World
ITU Telecom World is an annual Information and Communications Technology (ICT) event organized by ITU Telecom, part of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations agency responsible for ICT-related issues.
ITU Telecom World organizes global events for the governments, industry leaders and regulators that form part of the world’s ICT community.
The first ITU Telecom event was organised in 1971.