Who: Binny Bansal
What: Appointed as CEO of Flipkart
When: 11 January 2016
India’s biggest e-commerce company, Flipkart, on 11 January 2016 announced the promotion of current Chief Operating Officer Binny Bansal to the post of Chief Executive Officer (CEO). On the other hand, Sachin Bansal, who has been the CEO since inception, will now take on the newly-created role of Executive Chairman.
The major restructuring of its top management will see Mukesh Bansal report to Binny. Mukesh will continue to be chairman of Myntra, which he co-founded, and head Flipkart’s commerce platform. He has also been given additional responsibility of the overall ads business.
The current ads business head Ravi Garikipati will report to Mukesh.
Who is Binny Bansal?
• Binny Bansal is an Indian Software engineer and Internet entrepreneur.
• In 2007, he co-founded the e-commerce platform Flipkart with Sachin Bansal.
• Before co-founding Flipkart, Binny was previously employed with Amazon for 9 months.
• Prior to joining Amazon, he was rejected by Google twice.
• He graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi with a degree in Computer Science and Engineering.