What : BBIN Friendship Motor Car Rally started
Where : Started From Silchar, Assam
When : 27th November 2015
- Bangladesh, Bhutan India and Nepal (BBIN) Friendship Motor Car Rally started for Silchar, Assam on 27th November 2015. The event started under BBIN Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA).
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma flagged off the Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal (BBIN) Friendship Motor Car Rally on Thursday in Shillong .
- From Shillong the rallyists departed for Silchar via Thadlaskein and Lumshnong in Jaintia Hills.
- The International Motor Car Rally, jointly organised by the Kalinga Motor Sports Club, Odisha in partnership with the counterpart clubs of the neighbouring countries and the Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, was flagged off from Bhubaneshwar on November 15 last.
- The rally will culminate at Kolkata on December 2, next after covering the state capitals of Jharkhand, Bihar, Sikkim, Bhutan, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Chittagong and Dhaka in Bangladesh.
- Addressing the rallyist during the reception at the state convention centre, the Chief Minister said that the Northeastern states have been engaging with the Central Government to take up with the neighbouring countries to facilitate for promoting economic activities and people to people contact across the borders.
- Stating that the North-eastern states have been subjected to disadvantages for years due to presence of long international borders, Dr Sangma said, It is time now to open up these borders and the borders that we share must become borders of economic activities for the growth and development of the region.
- The Rally is aimed at highlighting connectivity in the sub-region and possibility of seamless movements of vehicles across the borders through implementation of BBIN Motor Vehicles Agreement, which will lead to economic integration of the region and help improve bilateral relations with our neighbouring countries.