Who: Ashwini Kumar
When: 20 October 2015
Ashwini Kumar, International Olympic Committee (IOC) honorary member, died on 20 October 2015. He was 94.
Though he was an officer of the Indian Police Service (IPS) for a long time, he was better known in India and around the world as an efficient sports administrator.
Contributions of Ashwini Kumar to Indian Sports
• He played an active role in sport in India, particularly in hockey as President of the Indian Hockey Federation for 16 years, besides serving the International Hockey Federation (FIH) as the Vice-President for more than 15 years.
• He headed the Indian hockey delegation at the Olympic Games in 1964 and 1968.
• He was the President of the Indian Basketball Federation and President of the Punjab Olympic Association for 12 years.
• He served the Commonwealth Games Federation and the Asian Games Federation.
• He was elected Life President of the Indian Olympic Association.
Ashwini Kumar’s association with IOC
• He was a Member of the Executive Board between 1980 and 1987 & between 1992 and 1996.
• He was the Vice-President its between 1983 and 1987.
• He served on several commissions including Olympic Solidarity (1980-1984), Olympic Movement (1983-1987, 1992-1996), Mass Media (1983-1989), preparation of the XII Olympic Congress – Congress of Unity (1985-1987), Radio (1983-1987) and Council of the Olympic Order (1983-1987).
• He became an Honorary Member in 2000.