Who: Apurvi Chandela
Where: Savsjo, Sweden
What: Won gold at Swedish Cup Grand Prix
When: 5 January 2016
Indian shooter Apurvi Chandela broke the world record on 5 January 2016 to grab a gold medal in the women’s 10 metre air rifle event at the Swedish Cup Grand Prix.
Chandela shot 211.2 in the event held at Savsjo Shooting Centre to outshine the feat of Chinese Olympic gold medallist Yi Siling, who held the record with 211.
On the other hand, Swedish shooters Astrid Steffensen and Stine Nielsen won the silver and bronze, respectively.
Who is Apurvi Chandela?
• Born on 4 January 1993, Apurvi Singh Chandela is an Indian shooter who competes in the 10 metre air rifle event.
• She completed her schooling from Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls’ School, Jaipur.
• She studied Sociology Honours from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University.
• In 2012, she won the gold medal in the 10 metres air rifle event at the National shooting championships in New Delhi.
• In 2014, she won four medals at the Intershoot Championships at The Hague, that included two individual and two team medals.
• She won the gold medal in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
• She also qualified for the Women’s 10 m air rifle at the 2016 Summer Olympics at the Olympics qualification round.