Who: Amitabh Bachchan
What: Made honorary life member of Mohammedan Sporting
When: 12 January 2016
Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan on 12 January 2016 was bestowed honorary life membership of Kolkata’s soccer outfit Mohammedan Sporting.
Sporting president Sultan Ahmed handed over the club’s life membership to Bachchan.
Bachchan was also invited to be the chief guest of the club’s 125th anniversary gala event to be held later in 2016.
About Mohammedan Sporting Club
• Mohammedan Sporting Club was founded in 1891 at Kolkata.
• It is one of the oldest and leading football clubs in India.
• At present, the club plays in the I-League 2nd Division and premier division of Calcutta Football League(CFL).
• It was the first Indian club to win CFL in 1934 and continued their run till 1938 season.
• Before Independence, numerous triumphs against British teams earned the club huge support from every section of Indian society.
• The club also became the first Indian club to win the Durand Cup in 1940.
• After Independence, the club also became the first Indian club to win on foreign soil by lifting the Aga Khan Gold Cup in 1960.
• Mohammedan Sporting along with Mohun Bagan A.C. and East Bengal F.C. are tagged as the Big Three.