What: Named IFPI Global Recording Artist of 2015
When: 8 February 2016
The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), international music trade body, on 8 February 2016 named Adele the Global Recording Artist of 2015 across all music formats.
The singer is the third recipient of the IFPI Global Recording Artist of the Year award. The award is a unique accolade that reflects an artist’s worldwide popularity across physical formats, downloads and streams.
Of the top 10 artists featuring in IFPI’s 2015 global chart, Ed Sheerantook second place and Taylor Swift ended up on the third place.
IFPI’s Global Recording Artist award and top 10 chart is the first and only ranking to accurately capture the popularity of artists across streaming channels, alongside digital and physical album and singles sales on a global basis.
Taylor Swift was the recipient of the Global Recording Artist of the Year award for 2014.
• Adele is an English singer and songwriter.
• In 2006, she was given a recording contract by XL Recordings after a friend posted her demo on Myspace.
• In 2007, she received the Brit Awards Critics Choice award and won the BBC Sound of 2008 poll.
• Her debut album was 19, which was released in 2008. It is certified seven times platinum in the UK, and double platinum in the US.
• At the 51st Annual Grammy Awards in 2009, she received the awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
• She released her second studio album, 21, in early 2011. The success of 21 earned her numerous mentions in the Guinness Book of World Records.
• She is the first woman in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 to have three simultaneous top 10 singles as a lead artist, and the first female artist to simultaneously have two albums in the top five of the Billboard 200 and two singles in the top five of the Billboard Hot 100.
• 21 is the longest-running number one album by a female solo artist in the history of the UK and US Album Charts.
• In 2012, Time magazine named her one of the most influential people in the world.
• In 2013, she won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for the James Bond theme Skyfall.
• In June 2013, she was appointed a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list for services to music.
• The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry is the organisation that represents the interests of the recording industry worldwide.
• It is a not-for-profit members’ organisation registered in Switzerland.
• Its stated mission is to promote the value of recorded music, safeguard the rights of record producers and expand the commercial uses of recorded music.