Who: Exercise LAMITYE 2016
Where: Victoria, Seychelles
When: 15 February 2016
Why: To improve military cooperation between India & Seychelles
LAMITYE 2016, the 7th joint military training exercise between the Indian Army and the Seychelles People’s Defence Forces (SPDF) began on 15 February 2016.
It will be a 2-week long exercise till 28 February 2016 and conducted at Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA) in Victoria, Seychelles.
Features of Exercise LAMITYE 2016
• Lamitye, which means friendship in Creole dialect, will be conducted with the aim of enhancing military cooperation and interoperability between the two countries.
• LAMITYE 2016 is the 7th biannual exercise since its inception in 2001.
• In 2016 exercise, the Indian contingent will comprise of an Infantry platoon and representatives from the Special Forces.
• The SPDF will be represented by 20 personnel from Tazar (Special Forces Unit) and 32 from Seychelles Infantry.
• The concluding phase of the exercise will incorporate a tactical exercise will be witnessed by senior military officers from both the countries.