Who: 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
Where: New Delhi
When: 9 January 2016
The 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) was held on 9 January 2016 in New Delhi. The event was inaugurated by the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and attended by Priti Patel, MoS for Employment, United Kingdom.
Apart from the main event in New Delhi, the day was celebrated by the MEA, across the world, through its missions/posts abroad.
On this occasion, Sushma Swaraj announced that the government is considering Aadhaar cards to non-resident Indians (NRIs) and allowing women workers to Gulf countries only through the government agencies to ensure they were not duped by recruiting agents or firms.
The 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas was unique for two reasons-
1) It was the first limited edition of the PBD. The government, in 2015, took a decision to limit the PBD conference as a biannual event and extend the PBD across the world and throughout the year. In effect, the next PBD conference will be held in 2017.
2) It was organised for the first time by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) after the government’s decision to merge Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) with it. Earlier it used to celebrated by the MOIA.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
• It is being held annually since 2003 to bring the Indian Diaspora on a single platform and leverage their resources in nation building activities.
• The day is held annually on 9 January 2015 to mark the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India.
• Apart from the PBD, regional PBDs were also held across the world. The most recent, 9th RPBD was held in November 2015, in Los Angeles, the USA.
• The 13th PBD was held in Gujarat marked the 100th year of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa.