National College Tiruchirapalli came into being in June, 1919, thanks to the munificence of the late Diwan Bahadur S.Rm.CT.Pethachi Chettiar, Zamindar of Andipatti and the collective initiative and zeal of Justice T.V.Seshagiri Iyer, Sir.T.Desikachariar, N.D.Subbarama Iyer and Sri. Sivarama Krishna Iyer and a galaxy of eminent public men. The College had its origin in the National High School founded on 11th June 1886, by the illustrious trio of teachers, Messers.G.Sesha Iyengar, P.G.Sundaresa Sastrigal and B.S. Venkataramana Sarma. This College is one of the few oldest affiliated Colleges of Bharathidasan University. The College celebrated its Diamond Jubilee during the year, 1980-81, under the Presidentship of Hon?ble Shri.R.Venkataraman the then Minister for Finance, and Former President of India, and a distinguished alumnus. To mark the occasion and event, a block named PRINICPAL SARANATHAN BLOCK was built.