Microsoft Teams Messages Not Showing Up, How To Fix Microsoft Teams Not Receiving Messages?
by Janani | Updated Feb 08, 2023
Microsoft Teams is a famous, copyrighted business communication platform. Microsoft Teams competes with the same service as Slack, providing workspace chat, file storage, videoconferencing, and application integration. It was developed by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft 365 family of products. This service replaced other Microsoft-operated business messaging and collaboration platforms, which include Skype for Business and Microsoft Classroom.
Microsoft Teams Messages Not Showing Up
The issue of Microsoft Teams messages not showing up may occur for many reasons. Here are the methods to solve the Microsoft Teams messages not showing up issue.
1) Restart Teams
If you use the web version, you can restart Teams. Close the browser and start Microsoft Teams after a few minutes. You may use the below steps to restart the teams.
1. For Microsoft Users
- Go to the taskbar and right-click on the Teams icon with your mouse.
- Next, choose the "Quit" option from the context menu. Then, you may use the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and end the task.
2. For Mac Users
- You can use Option+Command+Esc.
- Next, choose "Force Quit" and then choose Microsoft Teams from the list.
2) Check the Internet Connection
Microsoft Teams requires internet access to function. A weak or unstable internet connection can affect the teams working on your device. So, you can use Speedtest or Fast to see the current internet speed. You may also check the uplink, ping, and downlink.
- Ensure that you are in close proximity in range with the WiFi router with signal strength sufficient to carry out operations on Microsoft Teams.
- If you wish, you could ensure that there are no outages.
The server-side problems are not very common on Microsoft Teams.
3) Log out & Re-login
If you log out, all the connections are reset, the resources will be deallocated and it will give your Teams app a kickstart.
- So, once log out, and then restart the device. It will clear out right away if there is a bug left. This must make the chat messages on Teams functional again.
- Ensure that you use the right login credentials when signing in or logging in again. Because, with the incorrect password or email address, you might not be able to sign in. Then, you must use the "Forget Password" option to reset the password.
4) Clear the Microsoft Teams Cache
As per several users, clearing the Microsoft Teams cache has assisted in fixing the Teams Chat messages not showing up. Here are some of the methods that you can use.
Fix 1: Clear The Cache Using File Explorer
This is a very method to fix the error. You can use this method, only when you are using the Microsoft App on your PC.
- Initially, close all apps on your Windows PC.
- Next, open File Explorer and then search for "%AppData%Microsoftteams" in the search bar. This must open the AppData for Microsoft Teams.
- You must clear the below files from within and not delete them.
Fix 2: Clear Browser Cache
If you use the Microsoft Teams web version, you must clear the browser cache too. You can follow the below steps:
- Initially, open the browser you use.
- Next, navigate to the Settings, and then tap More Options.
- Then, tap Clear Browsing Data.
- Finally, choose "Cache Images and Files."
Fix 3: Clear App Cache
This method can be used on Android devices, while iOS devices will need a complete reinstallation. As a result, there is no way to delete the cache on iOS. You may follow the below steps to clear the app cache.
- Initially, navigate to the Settings app on your phone.
- Next, go to "Apps" (Applications or Application Manager).
- Now, search for Microsoft Teams (or Teams) and then open it.
- Next, go to its Storage and tap both the "Clear Cache" and "Clear Data" buttons.
5) Use Different versions Of Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams has many versions, like Mac and Windows desktop apps, Android and iOS apps, and web versions.
- If you face the "Messages not showing" issue using Teams on your Android phone, where the chat messages are not showing up, then try using the web version to check if it is the same in that version also.
- Similarly, if you encounter an issue with Microsoft Teams Messages Not Appearing on Your Desktop, try different versions.
6) Use Teams On Different Device
If you use Teams on a different device, then the issue might be fixed.
- So, if you see the Teams Chat Messages Not Showing Up issue on your phone, try to use another device but with the same Teams account.
- If Teams works with another device, you might try to restart your primary device or upgrade its firmware.
- The procedure is the same for desktop users. They can use other devices to find out whether all the devices they use have problems or if it is localized to a single device.
7) Update The Teams Chat App
If you use the Teams app on your PC or smartphone, you must update it frequently to keep bugs at bay. Also new features of the app could be incorporated. Once, check if the Microsoft Teams app you use on Windows, Android, macOS, or iOS has any pending updates. If yes, then download and install the same.
1. On iOS/Android
- Initially, go to the App Store or Google Play Store and then search for "Microsoft Teams."
- Next, find the "Update" button under the app in case you see any pending updates.
2. On MacOS/Windows
- Initially, on the desktop, open the Teams app.
- Then, tap the three-dotted button on the extreme top-right corner.
- Next, choose "Check for Updates."
- If you see any updates, you may download and then install them.
8) Reinstall Microsoft Teams
Many problems may be resolved if you reinstall Microsoft Teams. If the issue was with the app and your phone’s software, like bugs or incompatibility issues, then reinstalling the app will fix the issue.
- For that, you must uninstall the app and restart the device.
- Next, go to Microsoft Teams’ website or its respective app store and then download the app. Once you've determined that this has resolved the problem,
Microsoft Teams Not Receiving Messages
A simple solution to the Microsoft Teams messages not receiving messages problem is to restart Microsoft Teams to force a refresh. For that, you can follow the below steps:
1) For Window Users
- First, go to your taskbar and search for the Microsoft Teams icon.
- Next, right-click on the icon and select Quit. This forces the Teams app to quit.
- When the app restarts, you will see your latest messages again.
2) For Mac Users
- Initially, force quit the Teams app by using the following keyboard shortcut: Option, Command, Esc.
- You may go to the Apple menu, then choose Force Quit.
- Next, select Microsoft Teams from the list of open applications.
If the above method does not resolve the Microsoft Teams messages not receiving messages issue, you can try the following fixes:
- Check Internet Connection
- Log out & Re-login
- Clear the Microsoft Teams cache.
- Use Different Versions of Microsoft Teams
- Use Teams on Various Devices
- Update The Teams Chat App
- Reinstall Microsoft Teams
Why Is Microsoft Teams Not Updatng Messages?
There are numerous causes for the Microsoft Teams messages not showing up issue. The reasons behind the issue include:
1) An unstable Internet connection
2) The Team App has not been updated.
3) Log in issues (in rare cases).
4) Too much of the Microsoft Teams cache
5) The Teams Chat App is not updated.
Though the issue seems bulky, the solutions might be simple in some cases. So, you might use the fixed methods given in the second paragraph to solve the Microsoft Teams messages not showing the issue.
Microsoft Teams Messages Not Showing Up - FAQs
Microsoft Teams is a proprietary business communication platform developed by Microsoft, as part of the Microsoft 365 family of products.
Microsoft developed Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams is available in 48 languages.
Microsoft Teams was released on March 14, 2017.
Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Web are the