How to Fix Valorant Voice Chat Not Working? Know Its Causes
by Janani | Updated May 31, 2023
Valorant is a free-to-play first-person tactical hero shooter developed and published by Riot Games. The game was first teased in October 2019 and began a closed beta period in April 2020. Valorant was officially released on June 2, 2020. The game takes inspiration from the Counter-Strike series of tactical shooters, borrowing several mechanics such as the buy menu, spray patterns, and inaccuracy while moving. Valorant also features a unique cast of characters, each with their own abilities. Players can choose from a variety of agents to create a team that best suits their playstyle.Valorant has been praised for its competitive gameplay and unique character abilities. The game has also been a commercial success, with over 14 million players registered in its first month of release.
How to Fix Valorant Voice Chat Not Working?
1) Permit your game to access your microphone
If you're experiencing issues with your game not being able to access your microphone, it may be because the option to allow desktop apps to access your microphone is turned off. To resolve this, you can follow these steps:
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard to open the Start menu. Then click on the gear icon to access Settings.
- In the Settings menu, click on Privacy.
- From the options on the left side of the screen, select the Microphone tab. Under the "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" section, click the toggle switch to turn it on.
Once you have enabled desktop apps to access your microphone, you can try running VALORANT as an administrator to see if the issue is resolved.
2) Double-check your input and output device
To troubleshoot the issue of VALORANT voice chat not working, it's important to ensure that your input and output devices are correctly configured. Follow the steps below to check and adjust these settings:
- Right-click on the sound icon located on the taskbar, and then select "Open Sound settings."
- In the "Output" section, verify that your headsets or headphones are selected as the preferred output device.
- In the "Input" section, confirm that the microphone you intend to use is chosen as the desired input device.
Once you have set the appropriate output and input devices, proceed to test the voice chat functionality in VALORANT to see if the issue has been resolved. If the problem persists, proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
3) Reset your game’s audio settings
If you're experiencing issues with the audio settings in your game, it can affect the proper functioning of the voice chat feature. To resolve this, follow these steps:
- Start your game and locate the gear icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Click on the gear icon to access the game settings.
- Look for the SETTINGS option and click on it.
- In the settings menu, navigate to the AUDIO section and select VOICE CHAT.
- Ensure that both the Output Device and Input Device are set to the Default System Device. If the issue persists, you can manually select the desired device.
- Adjust the Incoming Volume and Mic Volume levels to at least 50% to ensure proper audio reception.
- Additionally, verify that both Party Voice Chat and Team Voice Chat options are turned on.
- Save the changes you've made to the audio settings.
- Launch VALORANT and test the voice chat functionality to see if it's working correctly. If the issue persists, proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
By following these steps, you can adjust and configure the audio settings in VALORANT to optimize the performance of the voice chat feature. If the problem persists, you can try the next fix to address the issue.
4) Update your audio driver
If you're experiencing issues with your voice chat in VALORANT not working, it's crucial to ensure that your audio driver is up to date. An outdated audio driver can significantly impact the performance of your voice chat, especially if you haven't updated it in a while.
There are two primary methods to update your audio driver: manual and automatic.
- Manual Update: You can manually update your audio driver by visiting the manufacturer's website of your sound card or audio device. Look for the latest driver version that is compatible with your operating system. Download the driver and follow the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Automatic Update: Alternatively, you can use driver update software or tools that will automatically scan your system, detect outdated drivers, and install the latest versions. These tools simplify the process by ensuring you have the most up-to-date drivers without the need for manual searching and installation.
Updating your audio driver can often resolve voice chat issues in VALORANT and improve overall performance.
If you find it time-consuming or challenging to update drivers manually, there's an alternative method using a tool called Driver Easy. This software automates the process of detecting outdated drivers, downloading the latest versions, and installing them on your system. With Driver Easy, you don't need to worry about identifying your specific system or risking the installation of incorrect drivers.
Here's how you can update drivers automatically using Driver Easy:
- Download and install Driver Easy on your computer.
- Launch Driver Easy and click the "Scan Now" button. The software will scan your computer and identify any outdated drivers.
- Click "Update All" to automatically download and install the correct versions of the drivers that are missing or outdated on your system.
Please note that the automatic update feature is available in the Pro version of Driver Easy, which includes full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you prefer not to upgrade, you can still use the free version to update your drivers manually, downloading and installing them one at a time.
After updating your drivers, it's recommended to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. Once your computer restarts, you can test the voice chat functionality to see if it's working properly.
If you encounter any issues or need assistance, you can reach out to Driver Easy's support team at [email protected].
5) Run VALORANT as administrator
To run VALORANT as an administrator and potentially resolve voice chat issues, follow these steps:
- Open the Search box and type "valorant". Right-click on the VALORANT application and choose "Open file location".
- In the window that appears, right-click on the VALORANT Shortcut and select "Properties".
- Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Look for the option "Run this program as an administrator" and check the box next to it. Then click on "Apply" and "OK" to save the changes.
By performing these steps, you will set VALORANT to run with administrative privileges, which can help resolve certain voice chat problems. After applying the changes, test the voice chat feature to see if it is functioning properly.
6) Make a clean boot
To troubleshoot any software conflicts that may be affecting the voice chat functionality in VALORANT, you can perform a clean boot of your system. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Press the Windows logo key and R simultaneously on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "msconfig" in the dialog box and press Enter.
- In the System Configuration window that appears, click on the "Services" tab. Check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft services" to prevent accidentally disabling important processes.
- Click on the "Disable all" button. Then, locate "vcg" in the list of services and check its box to enable it.
- Switch to the "Startup" tab and click on "Open Task Manager".
- In the Task Manager window, disable all the programs listed in the startup list. Once done, go back to the System Configuration window and click "Apply".
- Restart your computer to implement the changes.
By performing a clean boot, you are preventing other third-party applications from conflicting with VALORANT, which may help resolve any issues with the game's voice chat functionality. After restarting your computer, launch VALORANT and test the voice chat to see if it is working properly.
Why is Valorant Voice Chat Not Working?
There can be several causes for VALORANT voice chat not working. Here are some possible reasons:
- Incorrect audio settings: Improperly configured audio settings within VALORANT can prevent voice chat from functioning. Check that the correct input and output devices are selected in the game's audio settings.
- Microphone or headset issues: Problems with your microphone or headset can result in voice chat not working. Ensure that your microphone is properly connected and functioning and that your headset is working correctly.
- Outdated or faulty audio drivers: Outdated or malfunctioning audio drivers on your computer can cause issues with voice chat. Make sure you have the latest audio drivers installed for your system.
- Firewall or antivirus interference: Firewalls or antivirus software may block VALORANT's voice chat feature, leading to connectivity issues. Adjust your firewall or antivirus settings to allow VALORANT access to the necessary network connections.
- Network connectivity problems: Unstable or weak internet connection can disrupt voice chat in VALORANT. Check your network connection and ensure it is stable and strong enough to support voice communication.
- Server issues: VALORANT's voice chat may experience problems due to server issues or maintenance on the game's servers. Check for any announcements or updates from the game's official channels regarding server status.
- In-game bugs or glitches: Occasionally, voice chat not working can be attributed to bugs or glitches within the game itself. Check VALORANT's official forums or support channels for any known issues and possible workarounds.
If you are experiencing issues with VALORANT's voice chat, it is recommended to try troubleshooting steps such as checking audio settings, updating drivers, and adjusting firewall settings. If the problem persists, contacting VALORANT's support team can provide further assistance in resolving the issue.
Valorant Mic Not Working
If you're experiencing issues with your microphone not working in Valorant, there are several potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can try:
- Check microphone settings: Ensure that your microphone is properly connected to your computer and check the microphone settings in Valorant to make sure it is enabled and selected as the input device.
- Test the microphone in other applications: Verify if the microphone is working correctly by testing it in other applications or programs outside of Valorant. This will help determine if the issue is specific to Valorant or if it's a broader problem with your microphone.
- Update audio drivers: Outdated or incompatible audio drivers can cause microphone problems. Update your audio drivers to the latest version available from the manufacturer's website or use a driver update utility to automatically install the appropriate drivers.
- Check system privacy settings: Ensure that Valorant and your operating system have permission to access the microphone. In Windows, go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone and make sure the option to allow apps to access the microphone is enabled.
- Disable other conflicting applications: Some applications or services running in the background can interfere with Valorant's microphone functionality. Try closing or disabling any unnecessary programs and see if it resolves the issue.
- Run Valorant as administrator: Right-click on the Valorant shortcut or executable file, select "Run as administrator," and check if the microphone starts working properly.
- Verify in-game settings: Double-check Valorant's in-game audio settings to ensure the microphone is not muted or set to an incorrect input device. Adjust the microphone volume and sensitivity settings as needed.
- Restart your computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches or conflicts that may be affecting the microphone.
Does Valorant Record Voice Chat?
How to Voice Chat in Valorant?
To use voice chat in Valorant, follow these steps:
- Launch the Valorant game on your computer.
- Once you are in the main menu or in a game lobby, locate the settings icon in the top right corner of the screen (it looks like a gear).
- Click on the settings icon to open the settings menu.
- In the settings menu, click on the "Audio" tab.
- Look for the "Voice Chat" section and make sure the "Voice Chat" toggle is set to "On". This enables the voice chat feature.
- Adjust the volume levels for "Incoming Volume" and "Microphone Volume" according to your preference.
- Additionally, you can customize the "Output Device" and "Input Device" to select the audio devices you want to use for voice chat.
- Once you have configured your voice chat settings, exit the settings menu.
- While playing the game, you can use the assigned push-to-talk key (by default, it is the "V" key) to speak in voice chat. Press and hold the push-to-talk key to transmit your voice to your teammates.
- Similarly, listen to your teammates by ensuring your speakers or headphones are connected and the audio is turned on.
With these steps, you should be able to use the voice chat feature in Valorant to communicate with your teammates during gameplay.
How to Fix Valorant Voice Chat Not Working - FAQs
Valorant is a free-to-play first-person tactical hero shooter developed and published by Riot Games for Windows. It draws inspiration from the Counter-Strike series and features team-based gameplay with unique agents and abilities.
Valorant entered a closed beta period on April 7, 2020, and was officially released on June 2, 2020.
In Valorant, players are divided into attacking and defending teams, with each team consisting of five players. Players assume the role of Agents, who possess unique abilities and an ultimate ability. The game incorporates a buy menu, spray patterns, and inaccuracy while moving, similar to the Counter-Strike series.
Valorant offers a variety of weapons, including secondary guns like sidearms and primary guns such as submachine guns, shotguns, machine guns, assault rifles, and sniper rifles. Each weapon has its own shooting pattern that players need to control to achieve accuracy.
Currently, Valorant features 20 agents to choose from, including Brimstone, Viper, Omen, Cypher, Sova, Sage, Phoenix, Jett, Raze, Breach, Reyna, Killjoy, Skye, Yoru, Astra, KAY/O, Chamber, Neon, Fade, Harbor, and Gekko. Players start with five unlocked agents and can unlock additional agents by activating their contracts through XP earned by playing games.