24 June 2016 Current Affairs: Union Ministry of Urban Development has approved the setting up of District Level Advisory and Monitoring Committees to promote people centric planning and execution of new urban development schemes on 22 June 2016.
These committees will comprise of elected representatives of the country, thus giving Members of Parliament (MP) and Members of Legislative Assembly (MLA) a say in the implementation of the urban development schemes.
In a first of its kind, these Committees will oversee, review and monitor implementation of urban development, affordable housing and urban poverty alleviation programmes.Programmes to be monitored
Terms of Reference of Committees :
- Swachh Bharat Mission
- Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT)
- Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY)
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Housing for All (Urban) and
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission
Facilitate coordination among various agenciesChairperson and Members of Committee :
- To promote effective citizen involvement
- To review improvements in service level indicators like water supply,
- Review progress of implementation of reforms with focus on e-governance and ease of sanctioning of construction permits,
- Advise state and central governments regarding bottlenecks in implementation,
- Suggest mid-course correction in implementation
Senior most Member of Parliament will be appointed by the State/UT as the Chairperson of the Committee and two more MPs, one each from Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha will be the Co-chairpersons. The members of the committee are:
- All MLAs from respective districts representing the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and Mayors
- Chairpersons of ULBs
- Chairpersons and Chief Executives of Urban Development Authorities in districts
- Commissioners and Chief Executive Officers of ULBs
- Senior most representatives of the Department of Public Health Engineering and
- Senior most officials of para-statal bodies like water board and sewerage board
- District Collector or Municipal Commissioner of metropolitan cities will be the Member Secretary.