30 March 2017 Current Affairs: Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has become the world’s second-richest person, adding $1.5 billion to his net worth at $75.6 billion yesterday, according to Bloomberg’s Billionaire Index.
Bezos’ fortune spiked a day after Amazon announced plans to purchase Dubai-based e-commerce platform Souq.com.
According to Bloomberg, his net worth increased by $10.2 billion this year.
Aside from Amazon, Bezos also owns Washington state-based aerospace company Blue Origin, which plans to offer space tourism.
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates remained the world’s richest person and topped Forbes’ annual list with an estimated net worth of $86 billion, up from $75 billion in 2016.
About Jeff Bezos:- • Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in 1964
• Studied at Princeton University and worked on Wall Street
• Launched Amazon as online book retailer in Seattle in 1994
• A lifelong Star Trek fan, he launched Blue Origin spaceflight and aerospace firm in 2000
• Bought The Washington Post newspaper in 2013
• Recently purchased Dubai-based e-commerce platform Souq.com.