05 April 2017 Current Affairs: More than six years after it was approved by the UPA government, the Centre has constituted 'National Board for Electric Mobility' (NBEM) to promote electric mobility and manufacturing of electric (& hybrid) vehicles and their components.
The Union Cabinet chaired by former Prime Minister Minister Manmohan Singh had on March 31, 2011 cleared the proposals for launch of the National Mission for Electric Mobility and setting up of a National Board for Electric Mobility (NBEM) and National Council for Electric Mobility.
FUNCTIONS OF NBEM:- 1) The NBEM will coordinate and resolve difference of opinion, if any, among various ministries. It will examine, recommend, monitor and review electric mobility related R&D projects and pilot projects and also evaluate and propose business models for popularising electric mobility.
2) It will formulate strategies and give directions to the various ministries and other stakeholders for implementing the decisions of the National Council for Electric Mobility.
About NBEM:- The NBEM, to be chaired by the Secretary of Department of Heavy Industry.
Members: senior bureaucrats as members, including secretaries in the Department of Economic Affairs, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Power, Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, among others.
It will also have six nominated members of eminence and expertise from the automobile industry, academia and research & development. These include
1) Vikram Kirloskar, CMD, Kirloskar Systems Ltd;
2) Vinod Dashari, MD, Ashok Leyland;
3) Pawan Goenka, MD, Mahindra and Mahindra;
4) Annamalai Hemalatha, MD, Ampere Vehicles Ltd and
5) Sudarshan Venu, Joint MD, TVS Motors.
The nominated members will have a tenure of two years, or until further government order, whichever is earlier. These members can be re-nominated for additional terms, if needed.