03 April 2017 Current Affairs: The Government has launched PowerTex India, a comprehensive scheme for powerloom sector development, simultaneously at over 45 locations in the country.
Launching the scheme in Bhiwandi, Thane district, Maharashtra, the Union Textiles Minister, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani said that Bhiwandi will be known for resurgence in Powerloom sector. Recalling that the powerloom sector alone employs over 44 lakh people, the Minister said that the scheme will especially benefit small powerloom weavers.
Components of the 'PowerTex India' scheme:-
1) In-situ Upgradation of Plain Powerlooms
2) Group Workshed Scheme (GWS)
3) Yarn Bank Scheme
4) Common Facility Centre (CFC)
5) Pradhan Mantri Credit Scheme for Powerloom Weavers
6) Solar Energy Scheme for Powerlooms
7) Facilitation, IT, Awareness, Market Development and Publicity for Powerloom Schemes
8) Tex Venture Capital Fund
9) Grant-in-Aid and Modernisation & Upgradation of Powerloom Service Centres (PSCs)