21 March 2017 Current Affairs: Five Indians, have made it to the World Economic Forum's 100 Young Global Leaders list.
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma - Founder and CEO Paytm
- Shruti Shibulal - The Tamara Hospitality,
- Ambarish Mitra Founder - CEO Blippar, a mobile phone app business valued at USD 1.5 billion;
- Hindol Sengupta Editor- at large Fortune India
- Rwitwika Bhattacharya - Agarwal Founder and CEO Swaniti Initiative.
There were nine global leaders from South Asia, out of which five are from India. Besides, there are some persons of Indian origin in the US and Europe were also named in the list.
Each year, the World Economic Forum (WEF) selects 100 young leaders, under the age of 40, who are tackling the world's most complex challenges with innovative approaches.
The Class of 2017 features two of the world's top scientists on genome editing: Luhan Yang, chief scientist at eGenesis Biosciences, and Feng Zhang, a core member of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard.
From the public sector, the list features Aja Brown the youngest mayor to be elected in Compton, California.
Among those representing the private sector is Katie Hill, an innovator who leads Apple's ambitious new clean energy programme, converting the company's manufacturing worldwide to renewable energy.