21 September 2016 Current Affairs: Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu on 20 September 2016 released the third list of Smart Cities that will get funding for initiating urban reforms. The list includes names of 27 new cities.
With this, the number of cities selected under Smart City Mission for financing implementation of smart city plans has gone up to 60.
The 27 smart cities announced are from 12 States including 5 from Maharashtra, 4 each from Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, 3 from Uttar Pradesh and 2 each from Punjab and Rajasthan. Nagaland and Sikkim have made it to the smart city list for the first time. List of the 27 cities
- Punjab : Amritsar, Jalandhar
- Maharashtra Kalyan: Dombivili, Nagpur, Thane, Nashik, Aurangabad
- Madhya Pradesh Ujjain, Gwalior
- Andhra Pradesh : Tirupati
- Karnataka : Managaluru, Tumakuru, Shivamogga, Hubbali-Dharwad,
- Uttar Pradesh : Agra, Kanpur, Varanasi
- Odisha : Rourkela
- Tamil Nadu : Vellore, Madurai, Thanjavur, Salem
- Rajasthan : Kota, Ajmer
- Gujarat : Vadodara
- Nagaland : Kohima
- Sikkim : Namchi