15 September 2016 Current Affairs: Task force headed by NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Arvind Panagariya to prepare a road map for elimination of poverty submitted its report to the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) on 11 September 2016.
It has suggested setting up a committee to identify people Below Poverty Line (BPL). It also suggested participation from states in defining the BPL population.
The other members of the task force were Aayog Member Bibek Debroy and secretaries from ministries of rural development, housing and urban poverty alleviation.
It asked for constitution of a new committee, which in participation with the states and other stakeholders should work on defining the BPL population and identify them.
- It also suggested four options for tracking the poor and they are
- It asks to continue with the Tendulkar poverty line.
- It asks to switch to the Rangarajan or other higher rural and urban poverty lines.
- It calls to track the progress over time of the bottom 30 percent of the population
- It asks to track progress along specific components of poverty such as nutrition, housing, drinking water, sanitation, electricity and connectivity.