Malkangiri district was carved out as district from the undivided Koraput district on 2nd Oct, 1992. The administrative headquarters of this district is Malkangiri town. Malkangiri District is named after its headquarters town, Malkangiri. During formation of Odisha Province in 1936, Malkangiri was a Taluk of Nabrangpur sub?division of Koraput District of Odisha. In 1962 it was upgraded to a subdivision of Koraput District. The present Malkangiri got its identity as an independent district due to reorganization of districts of Odisha as per a notification on 1st October, 1992 and with effect from 2nd October 1992. Covering an area of 5,791 sq. kms, it lays between 17 degree 45 N to 18 degree 40 N latitudes and 81 degree 10 E to 82 degree E longitude. This District is sparsely populated with not much of a difference between the numbers of males and females. Almost the whole of the district is a vast dense jungle, with a very small percentage of the population residing in the urban areas. The district is divided into two distinct physical divisions. The eastern part is covered with steep ghats, platues and valleys, sparsely inhabited by primitive tribes, notable among who are Bondas, Koyas, Porajas and Didayis. The District is moderately literate, with the number of literate males far out numbering the number of literate females.