UPSC SYLLABUS 2019 latest important updates with clear and detailed information are provided here, Candidates can check all essential details of UPSC SYLLABUS 2019 instantly here and Through this UPSC SYLLABUS schedule, candidates can make the strategy for the Preparation of exam. Direct Official Link for each recent Updates on UPSC SYLLABUS is Provided in this Page. Find recent news of UPSC SYLLABUS 2019 verified on January 21, 2019.
UPSC syllabus 2018 latest updates with clear and detailed information are provided here,candidates can check all essential details of UPSC syllabus 2018 instantly here candidates can make the strategy for the Preparation of exam. Direct Official Link for each recent Updates regarding UPSC syllabus provided in this Page and find recent news of UPSC syllabus 2018 verified on March 27, 2018.
UPSC 2018 Civil Services - Prelims Exam PatternThe UPSC Preliminary Examination of Civil Services Examination consists of two compulsory papers (Paper I - General Studies, Paper II - Aptitude) with 200 marks each. All the questions under these Papers are the Objective type (multiple choice questions). Exert the detailed UPSC Exam Pattern now.
|UPSC CSE Prelims Papers||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Total Duration|
|Paper I - General Studies||100||200||2 Hours|
|Paper II - General Studies - Aptitude||80||200||2 Hours|
Marks obtained in General Studies Paper I of UPSC CSE Prelims Exam is considered for shortlisting to Mains Exam. In General Studies paper II, candidates compulsorily score minimum qualifying marks i.e. 66 marks which is 33% of 200 marks.
UPSC 2018 Civil Services - Mains Exam PatternUPSC Mains Examination consists of nine papers, out of which two are qualifying papers (Indian Language Paper, English Paper) each of 300 marks and seven are compulsory papers to be counted for merit each of 250 marks.
|Nature of Paper||Paper||Subject||Marks|
|Paper A||(One of the Indian languages listed below, to be selected by the candidate (from the languages listed in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution of India) (Qualifying)||300|
|Paper B||English (Qualifying)||300|
|Papers to be counted for merit||Paper I||Essay||250|
|Paper II||General Studies I (Indian heritage and culture, history and geography of the world and society)||250|
|Paper III||General Studies II (Governance, constitution, polity, social justice and international relations)||250|
|Paper IV||General Studies III (Technology, economic development, biodiversity, environment, security, and disaster management)||250|
|Paper V||General Studies IV(ethics, integrity, and aptitude)||250|
|Optional Subject – Paper 1||One paper on the subject to be selected by the candidate from the list of optional subjects||250|
|Optional Subject – Paper 2||One paper on the subject to be selected by the candidate from the list of optional subjects||250|
|Total (Mains Written Test)||1750|
UPSC 2018 Syllabus for Civil Services - Prelims ExamUPSC CSE Preliminary Exam syllabus is mainly formulated to assess the candidate's awareness and Knowledge about current affairs and aptitude, also to judge the answering skill within the stipulated time. Detailed Syllabus for each paper of UPSC CSE Prelims exam is granted below.
General Studies Paper I Syllabus:
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian national movement
- Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political system, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights issues, etc.
- Economic and Social development - Sustainable development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives etc.
- General issues on environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate change - that donot require subject specialization
- General science.
General Studies Paper II - Aptitude Syllabus:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level),
- Data Interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)
UPSC 2018 Syllabus for Civil Services - Mains ExamThe major purpose of UPSC IAS Main Examination is to assess the overall intellectual traits and depth of understanding of candidates. Questions under General Studies are asked in the level such that a well educated person can able to answer without any specialized study. These papers are to test Candidate's General awareness on various subjects, basic understanding of several issues, analyzing ability and more which are relevant for a career in Civil Services. The standard of the syllabus of General Studies papers are of degree level. The standard of the syllabus of optional paper is higher than the bachelor's degree but lower than the master's level. In the case of Engineering, Medical Science and Law, the Syllabus Level corresponds to the bachelor's degree.
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Qualifying Paper A - Indian LanguagesQuestions under the Paper on Indian Languages will be of Matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature only. The marks obtained in these papers will not be counted for final ranking. Questions on this paper are of the following pattern:
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essays
- Translation from English to the Indian language and vice-versa
- Assamese (Assamese)
- Bengali (Bengali)
- Bodo (Devanagari)
- Dogri (Devanagari)
- Gujarati (Gujarati)
- Hindi (Devanagari)
- Kannada (Kannada)
- Konkani (Devanagari)
- Maithili (Devanagari)
- Malayalam (Malayalam)
- Marathi (Devanagari)
- Nepali (Devanagari)
- Oriya (Oriya)
- Punjabi (Gurumukhi)
- Sanskrit (Devanagari)
- Santhali (Devanagari or Ol Chiki)
- Sindhi (Devanagari or Arabic)
- Tamil (Tamil)
- Telugu (Telugu)
- Urdu (Persian)
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Qualifying Paper B - EnglishQuestions under the Paper on the English Language will be of Matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature only. The marks obtained in these papers will not be counted for final ranking. Questions on this paper are of the following pattern:
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essays
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Paper I - EssayIn this paper, Candidates have to write essays on multiple topics given. They will be expected to keep close to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion and to write concisely. Credit will be given for effective and exact expression. They have to express the central idea of the topic clearly.
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Paper II - General Studies-IIndian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle - its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawing of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women's organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Salient features of world's physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Paper III - General Studies - IIGovernance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues, and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Separation of powers between various organs disputes redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Parliament and State Legislatures - structure, functioning, the conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Structure, organization, and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity.
- Salient features of the Representation of People's Act.
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions, and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions, and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
- Important aspects of governance, transparency, and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
- Role of civil services in a democracy.
- India and its neighborhood- relations.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India's interests
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India's interests, Indian diaspora.
- Important International institutions, agencies, and fora, their structure, mandate.
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Paper IV - General Studies - IIITechnology, economic development, bio-diversity, environment, security and disaster management
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development, and employment.
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Government Budgeting.
- Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Land reforms in India.
- Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
- Investment models.
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nanotechnology, biotechnology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
- Disaster and disaster management.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks, the role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
Syllabus for UPSC Mains Exam - Paper V - General Studies - IVEthics, Integrity, and Aptitude
This paper will include questions to test the candidate's attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem-solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilize the case study approach to determine these aspects. The following broad areas will be covered.
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants, and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
Human Values - lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; the role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behavior; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values of Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen's Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
- Case Studies on above issues.
Optional Subjects of UPSC Civil Services Main ExaminationThere are 26 optional subjects in UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination. The standards of questions in Optional papers is of Post Graduate level. Paper I is theoretical but Paper II is often dominated by Current Affairs and Application based questions. The entire list of optional subjects in UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination are:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Literature of any one of the non-English languages listed above
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
Practice with around 350+ latest UPSC Question papers for all papers in both prelims and mains examination now. Verify your responses for each question with the exact official UPSC Answer Key.
Answer key related Articles
CTET Answer key CBSE UGC NET Answer key GATE Answer key UPSC Answer key SSC CHSL Answer key JEE ADVANCED Answer key SSC CGL Answer key BSNL Answer key CSIR UGC NET Answer key NDA Answer key
Result related Articles
JEE MAIN RESULT DSSSB RESULT RRB ALP RESULT IBPS SO RESULT CTET RESULT IBPS CLERK RESULT CBSE UGC NET RESULT NABARD RESULT UPSC Result IBPS RRB RESULT UP BOARD RESULT ESIC RESULT IBPS PO RESULT DAVV RESULT WBJEE RESULT CSJM RESULT CSIR UGC NET RESULT NDA RESULT KVPY RESULT RBI GRADE B RESULT KEAM RESULT BSEB 12TH RESULT BIHAR BOARD 12TH RESULT BSEB BIHAR BOARD CLASS 10TH RESULT AIBE RESULT CBSE 10TH RESULT GATE RESULT SBI PO Result OJEE RESULT COMEDK UGET RESULT SBI Clerk Result RAJASTHAN BOARD RBSE 10TH 12TH AP POLYCET RESULTS MH CET RESULT IGNOU RESULT RBSE 12TH RESULT RAJASTHAN BOARD 12TH RESULT RRB RESULT SSC CHSL RESULT RBI ASSISTANT RESULT JIPMER RESULT AKTU Result (UPSEE Results) LIC AAO RESULT JEE ADVANCED RESULT SBI SO RESULT AIIMS RESULT MP BOARD RESULT BCECE RESULT PSEB 12TH RESULT PUNJAB SCHOOL EDUCATION BOARD CLAT RESULT CLASS 12TH RESULT JAC JHARKHAND BOARD 10TH 12TH RESULT BSNL RESULT TRB PG RESULTS BSTC RESULT VMOU RESULT NEET RESULT CBSE CLASS 12TH RESULT TAMIL NADU BOARD CLASS 10TH 12TH RESULT SSC CGL RESULT HBSE HARYANA BOARD 12TH RESULT NATIONAL PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION UNIT TAMILNADU MBBS RANK LIST NAGALAND BOARD NBSE CLASS 10TH 12TH RESULT
Admit Card related Articles
RRB NTPC Admit Card IBPS SO Admit Card SSC CHSL Admit Card IBPS CLERK Admit Card GATE Admit Card RRB Group D Admit Card TNPSC GROUP 2A Admit Card JEE MAIN Admit Card IGNOU Admit Card UPSC Admit Card RBI ASSISTANT Admit Card KVPY Admit Card CTET ADMIT CARD CBSE UGC NET Admit Card AIIMS Admit Card IBPS PO Admit Card NABARD Admit Card DSSSB Admit Card RBI GRADE B Admit Card IBPS RRB Admit Card WBJEE Admit Card BSTC Admit Card SBI PO Admit Card ORDNANCE FACTORY Admit Card SBI CLERK Admit Card IES Admit Card NDA Admit Card JIPMER Admit Card CSIR UGC NET Admit Card SBI SO Admit Card RRB Admit Card BCECE Admit Card BSNL Admit Card SSC CGL Admit Card JEE ADVANCED Admit Card IGNOU HALL TICKET Admit Card APPSC HALL TICKET Admit Card
Application Form related Articles
JAM JOINT ADMISSSION TEST APPLICATION FORM BSNL APPLICATION FORM IB ACIO APPLICATION FORM AIIMS APPLICATION FORM UPSC CDS APPLICATION FORM GATE APPLICATION FORM IGNOU ONLINE ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM SSC SCIENTIFIC ASSISTANT ONLINE FORM CSIR UGC NET APPLICATION FORM UIIC APPLICATION FORM NDA APPLICATION FORM DHE ODISHA PLUS 3 ADMISSION JPROCE JHARKHAND POLICE RADIO OPERATOR COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION APPLICATION FORM JCPSICE JHARKHAND COMBINED POLICE SUB INSPECTOR COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION APPLICATION FORM IBPS PO APPLICATION FORM TNEA APPLICATION FORM SNAP APPLICATION FORM UKPSC APPLICATION FORM SSC CHSL APPLICATION FORM JEE MAIN FORMS JIPMER APPLICATION FORM LIC HFL APPLICATION FORM CENTRAL RAILWAY APPLICATION FORM DSSSB APPLICATION FORM CBSE UGC NET APPLICATION FORM ORIENTAL INSURANCE APPLICATION FORM
Exam related Articles
NEET IBPS UPSC CMS COMBINED MEDICAL SERVICE EXAM RAILWAY EXAM SOUTH INDIAN BANK EXAMS RBI GRADE B CAT Exam UP POLICE EXAM JKPSC EXAM SSC GD CONSTABLE SSC GD CONSTABLE JEECUP UP POLYTECHNIC GATE HTET CBSE 12TH CBSE 10TH UPTET HSSC HARYANA SSC EXAM WBSSC WEST BENGAL SCHOOL SERVICE COMMISSION SSC MTS EXAM WBJEE KTET Exam CSBC BIHAR POLICE EXAM MPPSC Exam DRDO CEPTAM DTE MAHARASHTRA ICSE ISC EXAM KVS Exam AFCAT Exam KVPY RSMSSB EXAM KEAM IBPS SO JEE MAIN BHU Exam BANK OF BARODA SPECIALIST OFFICER SO UPSC ICMAI Exam MP VYAPAM BCECE OJEE ASRB EXAM COMEDK UGET AP POLYCET IES EXAM CSIR UGC NET RAJASTHAN POLICE EXAM MAHARASHTRA CET INDIAN NAVY EXAM DU ADMISSION IBPS CLERK AIBE Exam CLAT Exam VITEEE SSC CHSL AP EAMCET AWES APS CSB EXAM SBI CLERK ITPB Exam JEE ADVANCED IBPS PO IBPS RRB NVS EXAM CBSE UGC NET NRHM EXAM TS EAMCET TSPSC AEE Exam MAT Exam TOEFL XAT EXAM APTET VMOU Exam SYNDICATE BANK EXAMS RAJASTHAN PTET SSC CGL CTET ICAI CA CPT EXAM DMRC EXAM BSER REET EXAM DELHI TIS HAZARI COURT EXAM POWERGRIDINDIA PGCIL EXAMS JIPMER SET Exam RBI ASSISTANT TNPSC GROUP 4 EXAM HPTU Exam GSECL Exam AIIMS Exam AMIE SBI SO RRB NTPC KPCL UPCATET NDA EXAM BITSAT TNEA Exam SBI PO AP ICET MAT EXAM MANAGEMENT APTITUDE TEST NIFT Exam BSF PUNJAB BOARD PSEB 10TH 12TH LIC AAO TNHB EXAM MCGM BMC EXAM
Syllabus related Articles
IBPS Syllabus RRB Syllabus GATE Syllabus SSC Online Syllabus LIC Syllabus SBI Syllabus CTET Syllabus JEE ADVANCED Syllabus BSNL Syllabus IBPS Syllabus SBI PO Syllabus JEE MAIN Syllabus RRB Syllabus SBI Syllabus RBI Assistant Syllabus SSC Online Syllabus IBPS Syllabus IBPS PO Syllabus NDA Syllabus RBI Syllabus UPSC Syllabus CBSE UGC Syllabus
General related Articles
Cut off related Articles
Delhi University Cut Off SSC Online Cut Off IBPS Cut Off IBPS Cut Off UPSC Cut Off RRB Cut Off RBI Cut Off IBPS Cut Off IBPS Cut Off SBI Cut Off GATE Cut Off SBI Cut Off SSC Online Cut Off JEE ADVANCED Cut Off
Sample Papers related Articles
CBSE UGC NET QUESTION PAPERS IBPS CLERK QUESTION PAPER SSC CHSL QUESTION PAPER IBPS SO QUESTION PAPER Upsc Question Paper CTET QUESTION PAPER NDA SAMPLE PAPER GATE QUESTION PAPERS IBPS PO QUESTION PAPER
Important Dates related Articles
JEE MAIN EXAM DATE IBPS CLERK EXAM DATE SBI CLERK EXAM DATE CBSE UGC NET EXAM DATE IBPS PO EXAM DATE NDA EXAM DATE IBPS RRB EXAM DATE SBI PO EXAM DATE SSC CHSL EXAM DATE RBI ASSISTANT EXAM DATE UPSC EXAM DATE SSC CGL EXAM DATE IBPS SO EXAM DATE APPSC EXAM DATES
Exam Pattern related Articles
TNPSC GROUP 2A EXAM PATTERN SYLLABUS IES EXAM PATTERN IBPS SO EXAM PATTERN RBI ASSISTANT EXAM PATTERN IBPS CLERK EXAM PATTERN GATE EXAM PATTERN SSC CGL EXAM PATTERN SSC CHSL EXAM PATTERN RBI GRADE B EXAM PATTERN UPSC EXAM PATTERN IBPS RRB EXAM PATTERN IBPS PO EXAM PATTERN RRB EXAM PATTERN