UPSC Exam Pattern 2018 latest updates with clear and detailed information are provided here, candidates can check all essential details of UPSC Exam Pattern 2018 instantly here candidates can make the strategy for the Preparation of exam.Direct Official Link for each recent Updates regarding UPSC Exam Pattern provided in this Page and find recent news UPSC Exam Pattern verified on March 27, 2018.
UPSC 2018 Exam Pattern
Every Year, to appoint huge number of skilled candidates to various Central Government Services like Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Information Service (IIS), Indian Postal Service (IPoS), Indian Revenue Service (IRS) and more, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts Civil Services Examination (CSE) in All India Level in three main phases viz,
1. Preliminary Exam
2. Main - Written Exam
3. Interview (Personality Test)
IAS Preliminary exam is compulsory and is a qualifying nature for scrutinizing the number of candidates for Main Examination. Candidates those who qualify the UPSC Preliminary Examination is called for attending UPSC Mains written Examination. Candidates those who qualify for the UPSC Mains examination will be called to attend Personality Test rounds of UPSC IAS exam. The final UPSC result
of Civil Services Examination is announced on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in UPSC CSE Mains written exam and Interview- Personality Test.
UPSC Exam Pattern of Preliminary Phase
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims Examination is conducted in Offline mode i.e., pen and paper mode.
- UPSC Preliminary Examination of Civil Services Examination consists of two compulsory papers namely:
- General Studies Paper-I (GS Paper I),
- General Studies Paper-II (GS Paper II) often referred as Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT)
- All the questions in GS Paper I and Paper II are the Objective types (multiple choice questions), in both Hindi and English Language.
- Total mark for each of the papers is 200 marks.
- Total Duration for each of the papers is 2 hours.
- General Studies Paper I is of qualifying nature for Mains written Examination only. The mark obtained in this paper is considered for shortlisting to Mains Exam.
- But in General Studies paper II, candidates compulsorily score minimum qualifying marks i.e. 66 marks which is 33% of 200 marks.
- For each wrong attempts, one third marks will be deducted, i,e 0.66 marks for GS paper I and 0.85 marks for GS Paper II.
|UPSC Prelims Papers
||Total Number of questions
||Mark for each correct answer
||Negative Mark for each incorrect answer
|General Studies Paper-I
|CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test) Paper – II
Know the exact updated and detailed UPSC Syllabus
UPSC 2018 Exam Pattern -Mains Paper A - Indian Languages
The marks obtained in this paper will not be counted for final ranking. But at least 25% marks (i.e., 75 marks) should be scored by the candidates in this paper. This paper is conducted in in the following languages, from which a candidate has to choose any one of the Languages:
- Assamese (Assamese)
- Bengali (Bengali)
- Bodo (Devanagari)
- Dogri (Devanagari)
- Gujarati (Gujarati)
- Hindi (Devanagari)
- Kannada (Kannada)
- Konkani (Devanagari)
- Maithili (Devanagari)
- Malayalam (Malayalam)
- Marathi (Devanagari)
- Nepali (Devanagari)
- Oriya (Oriya)
- Punjabi (Gurumukhi)
- Sanskrit (Devanagari)
- Santhali (Devanagri or Ol Chiki)
- Sindhi (Devanagari or Arabic)
- Tamil (Tamil)
- Telugu (Telugu)
- Urdu (Persian)
UPSC 2018 Exam Pattern -Mains Paper VI, VII - Optional Subjects
UPSC IAS Mains Written Examination comprises of two papers in Optional Subjects. There are 26 optional subjects in UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination. The standards of questions in Optional papers is of Post Graduate level. Paper I is theoretical but Paper II is often dominated by Current Affairs and Application based questions. From this list given below, Candidate have to choose any one optional subject. The entire list of optional subjects in UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination are:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Literature of any one of the non-English languages listed above
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
Practice with around 350+ latest UPSC Question papers
for all papers in both prelims and mains examination now. Verify your responses for each question with the exact official UPSC Answer Key