All India Institute of Hygiene & Public Health (AIIHPH) was formally opened on 30th December 1932 by John Anderson, Governor of Bengal with Lt. Col. A D Stewart as its first Director. The Institute started with four sections � Public Health Administration, Malariology & Rural Hygiene, Vital Statistics & Epidemiology, and Bio-chemistry & Nutrition. Shortly, the fifth section of Maternity & Child Welfare was added with the help of Countess of Dufferin Fund. The year 1934 saw the establishment of the section of Sanitary Engineering. Post- World War reconstruction plans required immediate industrialization, focussing attention on health of industrial workers and in 1945 Industrial Hygiene was added as another section.